Thursday, August 7, 2008

To the dentist!

Today Daniel and Alin went to the dentist for the first time... I know, they should go as soon as they have teeth, but I think that because of my fear of the dentist, i didn't think that they needed to. So, when I had to have a molar extracted two weeks ago because it had been infected for almost six months and had a crack down the side that was too big to save, I decided that I don't want that for my children, and that they would be going to the dentist regularly.
Daniel went to get his teeth cleaned, but they didn't really do much, because he was being a turkey- he wouldn't open his mouth except to growl at the hygienist or to tell me no... It took her about half an hour to clean his teeth, but finally got it done.
Alin went to meet the dentist because they figure that kids her age need to get used to the idea first... She smiled and showed him her teeth, then bit him when he tried to count them. She's a natural!
Before they called us back, the dentist came out to say hello to the mother of another patient, and Daniel went running up to him and wanted to show him his teeth- I had been telling him all morning that we were going to see a guy who was going to look at his teeth- apparently he wanted it to be on his terms, not on the dentist's!

Hoy llevé a Daniel y Alin al dentista por primera vez. Yo sé, supuestamente deben ir al dentista tan pronto como tengan dientes, pero creo que por mi propio miedo al dentista no les había llevado hasta ahora. Pero, cuando me tuvieron que sacer una muela hace dos semanas porque estaba infectada ya hace como seis meses, y tan roto que no se podía reparar, decidí que no quería eso para mis hijos, y que ellos irían al dentista con regularidad.
Daniel fue para que le limpiaran los dientes, pero realmente no le hicieron mucho, porque estaba siendo pesado y solamente abría la boca para gruñirle a la niña que limpia los dientes, o para decirme que no... Se demoró casi media hora en limpiarle los dientes, pero por fin lo terminó.
Alin solamente fue para conocerle al dentista, porque piensan que los niños de su edad necesiten acostumbrarse a la idea primero... Ella le sonrió al dentista al principio, pero cuando trató de contarle los dientes, le mordió. Ella es perfecta para eso!
Antes de que nos llevaran al cuarto de limpieza, el doctor salió para saludar a la madre de otro paciente, y Daniel fue corriendo para mostrarle sus dientes- le había estado diciendo toda la mañana que iba a ir aver a un hombre que le iba a mirar sus dientes, pero parece que Daniel quería que fuera bajo sus terminos, no los del dentista!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I was so happy that everything went well when I took Zoie. I don't remember going every six months growing up, but maybe we did. Dental stuff with us now is pretty much if we have insurance.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about your day-to-day stories Keri.

The first time I took Truman to the dentist, he was very hesitant. He would not allow them to clean his teeth or do the x-rays as hoped. However, since then he has and it has been relatively painless for all of us.